Tuesday, May 09, 2006

WHERE DID I GET THIS KID....

Granted my child is 27, but regardless, I sometimes find myself wondering just where did he come from? I mean, I know where he came from, but you know, really, WHERE did he really come from? If Steve didn't look exactly like his Dad, I would wonder if he was really mine. I was working quietly at my table today going through pictures for his albums. Now remember this is my self proclaimed quiet day ( had only had a few mishaps till I came across the following). There in front of me were pictures of his senior prom. All of a sudden I couldn't be quiet any longer. I just burst out laughing...Now the Dr told me to keep my voice at a steady even keel. Not whispering and nothing above normal talking and the laugher that was coming out of my mouth was anything but average. What was I laughing at? Well let me tell you how he ruined his Sr. Prom for me. Yes, me!!!!
As moms we envision all sorts of special occassions for our kids, right? Having an only child we only got to do this once , so we needed to do it right. There would be no repeats. Well, Sr. Prom was like right up there. Everything was falling into place. His tux was absolutely beautiful and I could hardly wait to him in it. Well, of course, if I remember right, he kept shooing me out of his room (so what, I wanted to watch him get dressed, this was a special occassion) saying he didn't need my help. We didn't have a daughter but I still liked hanging out with him. He was ok with this until he turned 14. Well, I remember his door opening and hearing him come down the hall. I could hardly wait to see what he looked like. He was always in jeans or shorts and tennis shoes even for church so this was a big deal. Steve steps inside the l/r and I could literally feel my mouth hit the floor, just like it was yesterday..He looked great, all the way to his ankles, that is. Instead of dress shoes, he had on his white and orange tennis shoes.(yes I said orange) What's up with that? So of course, I being Mom and wanting wonderful pictures, told him to go chang his shoes. Well, he wasn't going to change his shoes. Jim just laughed and as usual was no help here. I tried to expain the "rules" of dressing up but he just let me know he'd be back with the date so I could see them together. Of course, I thought, well once they get back, she and I will be able to convince Steve to change shoes. I hear the car pull into the driveway, and when they came I, I let them know I'd like to take some pictures. "Steve go change your shoes, please". He said no, he was dressed and she giggled. GIGGLED...Not quite the response I had hoped for. Where was that understood allegience we women have with one another? She was dressed in a beautiful peach dress and all of a sudden she raised it up to her knees. The girl had on high top tennis shoes. How could they ruin Sr. Prom for me like this. One of the biggest days of my life for him, ruined. And here they are just laughing.........
Well, here I am 8 years later just laughing my head off and realizing just how classic that is of Steve. He is who is is. The way he was dressed is so reflective of his personality and what great memories those tennis shoes brought back. Gosh, I love that kid....

No comments: