Sunday, May 07, 2006

FRIENDSHIP, ONE OF GOD'S GREATEST GIFTS

Jim and I were sitting around realizing just how blest we are when it comes to "friends". Most are really an extension of our family.....There are many we don't see very often, but they are part of our lives and bring a smile to our face when the Lord brings them to mind.....
Jim has a friend that he's had for about 50 years...Though we don't see him, he is someone who Jim touches base with several times a year. He was so special , we named our son after him. I was reluctant at first. I am not superstitious at all, but hey, you never know..I have heard stories about Jim and Steve my whole married life..I didn't want a repeat, just in case..haha....I have not "kept" in touch with any friends from my childhood, but I love to hear them talking on the phone..They just pick up where they left off last time... What has been especially intresting is seeing where the Lord has brought them in their spiritual walk.
We have friends that we met on our travels in the military. Some we keep in touch with on holidays, but there are those special ones who's lives has been intertwined with ours for over 20 years. The phone was our connection with each other...We still share in birthdays, anniversaries, graduations as if we were "together". We have also cried through our children's struggles and illnesses and of course the victories when they come out on the other side. Though miles separate us, we are connected through a bond formed many years ago. I can't imagine a life without Kim and Steve, no matter how far they live from us...
Though we feel we can contact any of our friends when we are in need of prayer, there is that "special" group of God's intercessors that the Lord gave us over 6 years ago. Our home group at Jim and Sandy Greens has been a source of strength to us for many years..They remind us when we forget, that God is God, and He holds us in the palm of His hand. That He and He alone is in control. There are many times I need to be reminded of that, but they always remind me Who I really belong to.
Then there are those special friends we are given during certain seasons of our lives that extend throughout. When Jim left for Iraq, I was so alone or so I thought. I knew Connie from a few years back, but it is still amazing to me the way God re-entered her into my life at a time when I needed her "special" friendship and what she would sow into it.. I would have never imagined the friendship that would come out of this one, but its been one of greatest adventures (this is how I have to describe Connie, haha, or maybe us together..who knows, haha)...I knew and know that no matter what, I can count on her. There is Viv and Joe and the kids. Wow, what a source of inspiration you are to us...Joe, Jim and the boys are shooting buds and have such a connection and I with Viv. I can talk to her about anything and I do mean anything. They are 2 that check on me still today..When I need a pick me up, there is Viv on the other end of the phone.We know if there is anyone we can call at 2 in the morning, it is Joe and Viv. What a gift indeed!!! Their children are great, and you can't say that just about everyone's kids, can you? hahaha...This family is nothing short of a blessing to us...I can't end this without one of my very favorite friends in the whole world, my sister in law , Minerva. She inspires me. She is more than an inlaw.. She is the greatest gift to our family, ok, now its a close call between her and Deven. haha...She is just pure goodness. I have a whole other blog about this one but had to include her here...this is really a short list, but the Lord really brought you to our minds and hearts today and we really wanted you all to know what a blessing and treasure our friends are to us. We are so much better because you are all a part of our lives...truly one of God's greatest gifts.......

No comments: