Tuesday, May 02, 2006

JUST CALL HIM "UNCLE STEVE"

Have I mentioned that we are crazy about our new grand-nephew, Deven? He is absolutely the cutest little baby. He could be on commercials he's so cute. I'd love to share a picture of him, but his mom, Krissy, knows that you are all a bunch of internet axe murderers, so I cannot share his picture at this time.haha!!!
Our son, Steve likes to visit him weekly. When he talks to Deven, he calls himself Uncle Steve. Now theoretically he is his great cousin, right? Well, Steve is not one who really cares if he's politically correct or not. He says he's tired of being a cousin and he is Uncle Steve to Deven.
As the parents of an "only child", we have always worried about Steve not having brothers or sisters. We worry because we think he'll not "have anyone" when we are gone(not that we are planning on going anywhere, anytime soon, but hey, it happens, right?). Yes, he will have a wife and children, hopefully, but its different with siblings, don't you think?

My sister-in-law and I just laugh and smile because he is so funny when it comes to Deven. When I heard him call himself Uncle Steve to Deven the other day, it occurred to me, he will have someone when we are gone. I realized as I sat and watched him act and react (hey you have to know all of them to understand this one...haha) with his cousins, he most definitely will never be alone. These kids who are all growing up,( all horrible rugrats with each other during their growing up years, and including and especially mine,haha) know they can count on each other. It brought back memories of the past couple of years when they've all had things going on in their lives, and I remember the phone calls between the two houses of them checking upon each other. Memories of the 4 of them started to run through my mind and made me smile. Those thoughts still warm my heart even today. They all really care about each other. I would hate to use the love word here, still don't know if they'd admit that one.haha!! But, He is Uncle Steve, and I realize that we don't have to be born into a family to be an aunt or an uncle to make a child feel loved. The best part of it all, he got a brother and sisters the easy way, from his aunt and uncle. Ahh, and they'll be the ones to make him an "uncle" and I didn't have to do a thing.... Wow, one more reason its good to be the aunt....

1 comment:

Pamela Lynn ~ flutterby7 said...

Sweet... and one of the very few reasons I want to move back to PA is so that Ian (an only child too) can be nearer to his "cousin friends" (his term). Ian will have to grow up to be their children's *Uncle* too.