Thursday, June 01, 2006

DIXIE CHICKS-PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES IF YOU WANT TO PLAY

Why do I watch these shows???...I love a good controversy, but geez, don'tcha just think sometimes we should "just do the right thing"...I know all about principals, I have been young and dumb too, and heck no, I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world..too many lessons have been learned and I for one don't want to relearn them..haha.....

I switched to Larry King last night and there they are!!!! The Dixie Chicks..quite frankly, I never knew anything about them until their outrageous behavior in England, just before the war. Yes, we have freedom of speech in this country, and I, for one, count that as one privelege we are so fortunate to have......On the other hand, with that privelege comes responsibility. Do I think we should call for a boycott of their albums? Not especially, but I secretly have to say I was happy they experienced a little of what their behavior brought to them..Though they said last night, it really didn't hurt them in the long run, they were very careful to pick their words. And, they of course, did this at a time when our President is suffering from low support in the polls.. I also found that interesting also..Would their comments have been the same if those poll numbers reflected a higher %....I think not...They actually reminded of what small children do. They have been sticking their toes in the water a little at a time, saying more with each interview, just wading out into the water a little more each time...Just enough to check the reprocutions and get away with just a little more ..ahhh, i remembered that well when Stevie was little....memories........

I believe very strongly in our freedom to speak what is on our minds and in our hearts...I know they wanted "the world" to know that President Bush doesn't speak for them, but excuse me, YES HE DOES........He is the President of our great country and like it or not, he does speak for America as a whole, just as Bill Clinton did for 8 years (did I like it, no I didn't, but I have great respect for the office. It is an entirely different thing to respect a person). He was elected by the majority. My problem is not that they disagreed with President Bush. I have on several things myself, but the platform in which they chose to express it. They were on foreign soil, with America on the brink of war. Whether we are Republican or Democrat or whatever, when the rubber hits the road we should remain united, whether we approve or not. Thats part of being an American, in my opinion...Sometimes, our responsiblity as an American is to not speak and no one has more trouble with that part than me, BUT, we sometimes have to do what is right and sometimes that means keeping our mouths shut....Is it hard? You betcha, especially when we feel very passionate about our beliefs.. I am reminded also, of one of the scenes from a movie, where a soldier lies dying and tells his comrades to "make it count"..Our soldiers are fighting for a cause that many of them don't agree with, but We as Americans need to "make their sacrifice count"..We need to remain United as they are, its for them. They are giving us their very best, and many have given their all, but they remained united, and this is a case where not only their position as a soldier I respect but, also, as a human being I highly respect.....Its our job as an American to remain united when that rubber hits the road, just as families somehow seem to find their way together during hardships and trying times..the may not all agree, but they stick together ..Why? Because they're family..Why should we remain a united front----because we're family, not necessarily bound by blood, but by our right as an American...........hey, just my opinion, but I'm on Texas soil!!

No comments: