Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I HAVE MY GRANNY'S KNEES.....

Like many other little girls, I grew up in love with my Granny. She lived 9 hours away and we only got to see her and our Papa a couple times of year. Though many miles separated us, absence did make the heart grow fonder. She passed away 23 years ago, but if I close eyes and concentrate, I can still see her sitting on the edge of her bed, wearing one of her "dusters". I can feel her soft skin that she rubbed daily with baby lotion, and even smell the White Shoulders perfume she loved to wear.

As a child, I watched as my Granny suffered with rheumatoid arthritis. It affected her hands, feet and her knees. I used to lay with my head on her lap and she'd rub my head with her deformed hands, and I in turn would rub her knees. She had a long scar on both knees from knee surgery and somehow in my mind, I thought if I'd just rub them, she'd not hurt anymore. I don't really know if it worked or not, but it sure made me feel good to do something for her.

Whereas, I don't have rheumatoid arthritis, I did inherit osteoarthritis. I am going through physical therapy right now after surgery for my second knee replacement. As I was changing the bandage today, I looked down and smiled and realized I have my Granny's knees. So now, when I want to remember special days gone by, all i'll have to do is look down at my knees. What a reminder!!! haha...

No comments: